To cut or not to cut...

7/17/2008


I have had this dress hanging on the back of my bathroom door for the last year and a half. I wore it a long time ago pre-baby weight. Since then the zipper has busted and the dress has become more than a little tight on me. Should I hold on to it as the dress form and hope to fit into it again someday soon (and fix the zipper) or should I cut it up? I think it would make some very cool purses. Am I a bad person for wanting to cut up a dress that is a handmade retro dress? Maybe I should just let it continue to hang their like functional art? I am torn.

7 Comments:

said...

Cut it up, baby!

thrifty-fox said...

I cut up a super cute 50's style dress once.. it made a sweet bag. I say go with it and cut it up. Look at it as giving it a new life! :)

Lindsay said...

If you're going to go the "functional art" route, then get one of those cool fabric dummies and hang the dress somewhere on that in your house.

Otherwise, cut it up and show off on your shoulder! No sense in keeping some beautiful fabric away all for a what-if.

sulu-design said...

I agree with everyone else: cut it and enjoy it!

Naomi said...

chop it up! I had sooo many cute vintage dresses that ended up either being given to Goodwill in major purges, or chopped up for headbands crafts. Trust me, you'll feel better using it than waiting until someone wipes toothpaste on it and there is a huge bleach stain!

Wait... maybe that only happens in my house...

Anonymous said...

Cut it up! It will make some great bags!

Anonymous said...

what about making a skirt and use the top half to make bags? you could probably get 1 to 2 bags out of the top (depending on the size of bag). plus, you wouldn't have to bother with hemming the skirt, just add a waistband or elastic.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails