Saving for a rainy day

5/29/2008


I think I have already discussed this but here we go again. I am on a budget. This past weekend we decided that ALL our extra money was to be put away so that within 5 years we will have enough saved for a down payment on a house. Five years that I can not go garage saleing or thrifting any longer. I had to be honest with myself all the things that I buy at thrift stores I dont need and in all honesty there will always be pretty vintage stuff for me to buy I doubt there will be a shortage even in five years. My problem? Garage/estate sales and thrift stores are my crack, seriously I am addicted and I am already getting the shakes just thinking about giving it up. Well not giving it up just stopping for awhile. Its a life long addiction. I will probably fall a couple times and I am allowing myself one weekend right around my birthday (August) for a big flea market. Now I just have to stay away from Craigslist and the paper to see all the tempting ads!

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

i know this is unsolicited advice, but i think you're setting yourself up for failure by not letting yourself buy anything for five years. what if you gave yourself a budget of $15 a month to spend on thrifty things-- then you would have to really decide what was worth it but still be able to shop around and delight in your hobby. over 5 years that's $900, which isn't so terrible, really. and it's so much nicer to know that you CAN spend it- sometimes knowing that is enough for you not to have to spend it. plus you could save up months and splurge on something every once in a while.

just a thought. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the blog "get rich slowly" to stay on track. http://www.getrichslowly.org/ He's all about frugal living. Also "millionaire mommy next door" http://millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com/. Love her.

sulu-design said...

I'm an all or nothing type of girl, so I totally get your thinking on this, but reading Linda's comment above made me think... it sounds like a good idea, and a goal that can be accomplished. I wish you luck and strength no matter what you do. Say no to crack!

gina said...

I love what you said about how there will always be pretty things to buy - that's a really good point & another way to look at things. I need to cut back on my thrifting & its going to be hard but I know I have to. So I know {a little bit} how you feel & wish you all the best!

KatBouska said...

I hate budgets. And I SO feel for you. It's hard to imagine that putting an end to thirft shopping can get you into a house, but every little bit helps!! And everyone needs to do your part. Maybe you can find a new hobby...like...coloring.

KB said...

Ha! I've put a moratorium on thrifting many times. It's hard to stop cold turkey. I think a $15 a month limit is a great idea. Everyone deserves a splurge every now and then and really, $15 is a relatively cheap splurge. You can get a LOT for that.

Sarah and Jack said...

I also find it useful to try and ask myself, would I pay $20 for this? If so, I usually buy it. If not? Leave it there!

The monthly budget is a good idea. I already have a thrifting budget and when it's gone, it's gone.

It's also useful to try and spend some of that budget on things that you need instead of just things you might want. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that if we need a new such and such, I can try and thrift it instead of buying it at target.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails