seriously?

2/24/2010


So on top of everything around me falling apart, Kenson my laid back easy going baby is on a nursing strike. Of all the things going on this is the toughest one for me. I am a huge hormonal wreck (which at the moment is the worst time for me, crying in front of my boss is not something I typically want to do but cant seem to stop lately!). I am hoping to rule out a few reasons soon but we are going on day three. On top of the nursing strike he is not being soothed as easily at night and in the early morning. So bed time has been a heartbreaking activity to the point where I just want to give up. And it also means we are waking up at 3am for a morning "snack" of things like cheerios since he would normally be nursing at this time. Any momma's out there with some words of support/advice. This is a new thing for me, Leila self weaned at 9 months. Kenson a super nurser until 3 days ago...

When it rains it pours I tell you!

1 Comments:

Unknown said...

He is exerting his independence, but there could be a couple of different reasons for the nursing strike. Is he teething? Is he eating more solid foods than normal because the cheerios would do it? Is he getting a cold or sore throat making him not want to be irritated by nursing? Does he use a bottle when you are working? Because bottles are instant gratification. And gosh darn it, he wants to explore the world and not be stuck to the boob. It isn't you, it's him. And that is wonderful. Although wrecking your self worth, believe me, I've been there.

And quite frankly, at 3 a.m. as a breastfed baby, he need not eat. I stopped nursing at night at about 6 months so I could get my babies to sleep through. That will be a relief for you too. You can start weaning all foods at that time of night. If he is growing normally no midnight meals necessary.

I hate sounding like a dictator, but getting him on a feeding schedule that doesn't call for feedings when all of you should be sleeping will be a great relief for both of you, so you can accomplish your day without being an emotional wreck. Believe me, I've been there and there came a point when something had to be given up.

I wish you all the best and hope that things start getting much better soon. You are a great Mama and you are doing no harm at all by flipping the script according to his wants. Good luck!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails